Hubert Bennett was the County Architect for the West Riding County Council from 1945-1956 when he went on to be the Architect for the Greater London Council from 1956 to 1971. Whilst in Wakefield, he designed the new building at Bishopgarth which was opened in 1950 as the offices of the West Riding architects’ dept. In London he was responsible for both the Hayward Gallery and the Queen Elizabeth Hall. After retirement from the GLC, he founded his own practice becoming an international ‘star’ with such buildings as the Palais des Festivals at Cannes, and a palace for the Sultan of Oman in Muscat. He was knighted in 1970.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PLAQUE HAS BEEN REMOVED TEMPORARILY